Kahal B’raira means “Community of Choice.” Our name emphasizes our belief that we are responsible for our choices and answer to one another and ourselves.
Kahal B’raira Offers:
- A congregation that supports the beliefs and commitments of Humanistic Judaism.
- A place that welcomes all who identify with the history, culture and fate of the Jewish people.
- A place to celebrate the joyous life cycle events of birth, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, and marriage and find support during times of hardship, illness, and loss.
- Meaningful experiences of culture, celebration, education and community life.
All About Kahal B’raira
- Family programs, including Sunday programs, holidays, congregation retreat, and potluck gatherings
- Sunday School from pre-K to 7th grade–visitors welcome
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program
- Youth Group for teens
- Adult Programs including adult education, holiday celebrations, Shabbat services, and Havdalah Celebrations
- Opportunities for group social action and community service
- A caring community to support members through difficult times
- A lively dynamic music program
- An active group working for peace and justice in the Middle East
We hold Sunday School and adult meetings 15 times per school year. The adult meetings take place during Sunday School hours and include social time, a Humanistic Jewish service, and an educational program.
See our calendar for specific dates and times.
Steve Greer, Co-President
Photo of Sara
Bio of Sara
Ryan Katofsky, Co-President
Sara Laschever, Past President
Tim Riley, Past President
Cathy Cabrera, Treasurer
Lore Kantrowitz, Secretary
Ellen Forman, Holiday Coordinator
Allison Caplin, Sunday School Committee Co-Chair
Lee Feigenbaum, Sunday School Committee Co-Chair
Roberta Bauer, Member at Large
Dave Ross, Member at Large
Cara Seiderman, Member at Large
Jon Levine, Delegate to Society for Humanistic Judaism
Gladys Maged, Administrator
Rachel Schoenfeld, Education Director
Ruth Smolash, B'nai Mitzvah (Bar-Bat Mitzvah) Coordinator
Zach Mayer, Music Director
Sophia Brion Meisels, Youth Group Coordinator
Here is a short timeline of the congregation:
|1975||Rabbi Sherwin Wine, founder of the Society for Humanistic Judaism, asks Barbara and Seymour (Sy) Schnuer to organize a congregation in Boston.On September 19th, the first meeting is held.|
|1978||The first Humanistic High Holiday service and Chanukah celebration take place in Boston.|
|1979||The Sunday school is started.|
|1980||The name “Community of Choice” is chosen and translated into Hebrew: Kahal B’raira (KB).|
|1984||Congregation celebrates its first Bar Mitzvah, that of Daniel Dain.|
|1986||Steven & Linda Brion-Meisels chair the Sunday School Committee and serve as first Principals.|
|1989||First KB graduates teach Sunday School: Evonne Wetzner & Josh Dodes.|
|1999||100 families are in the congregation.|
|2003||KB hires Gladys Maged as administrative facilitator.|
|2006||KB hosts the Society for Humanistic Judaism Conference and (a year late) celebrates its 30thanniversary|
|2007||KB moves to Fayerweather Street School in Cambridge.|